[at-l] The Virtues Of Hammocks

    I am slightly claustrophobic and did not like the feeling of being
confined inside a hammock.  For some strange reason being inside my Nomad
tent never affected me the same way.  I met many hikers who converted from
tents and tarps to hammocks while on the trail this season.  Of those who
did, they all had nothing but praise for them.
    As far as tarps are concerned - IMHO the weight savings would not be
worth the flesh that would be sacrificed to the noseeums and other insects.
In early June I spent a night at Little Irish Creek (USFS39) in Virginia.
As I was doing my journal entry with my headlamp on I looked up at the
netting in my tent and there had to be hundreds of noseeums trying to get at
my very aromatic flesh.  I can't imagine what would have happened if I were
in a tarp.

LWOP

P.S.  I like my smashmellows browned lightly over a campfire surrounded by
other hikers.  It just doesn't get any better than that...