;-) WAS IT Ghosts? (was) RE: [at-l] firefly's or lightening bugs...

Are you sure it was bugs?  Could it have been something akin to the Brown
Mt. Lights?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rami [mailto:rbenhameda@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:40 PM
To: Watuwando2@cs.com; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] firefly's or lightening bugs...

[re: firefilies]

>Has anyone noticed more of them this year?
>
>The woods behind me look like a christmas tree!

[Rami:] (also in Indiana)  My little Entomologists have had no end of fun
stalking, catching, caging, studying, and releasing the little neon fliers
this summer.  There are definitely more now than for quite a few years.

In a related but separate story, a few weeks ago, we went on a trip to the
Smokey Mountains where we hiked on some blue blaze trails and stayed in some
campgrounds.  Our first night was in campground #34 (I think) close to the
N.E. corner of the park.  It's an absolutely beautiful campground with a
noisy little creek running beside it.  We were camped up hill from the trail
which ran diagonally from uphill left of us to downhill right of us.  In the
middle of the night I woke up, and sat up in my bag because something had
made a noise that I decided I wanted to look at.  The first thing I saw was
a very pale luminosity which appeared to be moving along the trail.  I
thought to my self; "self, damn that guys stupid to keep hiking all night
with such a lousy light.  I wonder if he's gonna ultra-light himself into
the obituaries..."
Then I realize that it wasn't a dumb-ass hiker, but that there were hundreds
of the little green lights going in all directions.  They were AH-nold sized
fireflies.  They weren't just blinking on and then off again like the little
runt fireflies here in Indy, these suckers were steroid enhanced, lithium
charged lightening bugs.  I could see, in some cases, foliage being
illuminated by them.  The light lasted several seconds (more than 4 but less
than 8) and was a much brighter light.  The color was a more green light
where as the puny little guys here in my back yard are a kind of mix between
green and yellow.
I realize that bugs are different in different places, these just happened
to make a very strong impression on me.  Thought I'd share...

-r

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---