[at-l] Hogwash

Let's be a bit more precise [and even-tempered] re this important
issue.  I have hiked and camped for 35 years; I often have "cooked in a
tent" in the broader sense of that phrase . . . when I am cold, wet and
the weather sucks, I often cook with my body inside my tent, in a
sleeping bag, but my head and arms extending out into a partially open
vestibule, where the stove is sitting on wet ground as far from the tent
itself as possible.  I also have cooked "inside" a tarp, with the stove
under the highest point, with good ventilation.  I've never had a
mishap, and I ALWAYS make sure of three things - good ventilation; my
sleeping bag and tent doors not zipped up (so I can get out FAST, and
everything else burnable far away from the stove . . .

Having said the above, I do not specifically recommend it - but [like
premarital sex] there is something to be said for passing on precautions
to others when there is a high liklihood that some of them will be
engaging in the potentially dangerous activity.  White gas is extremely
dangerous; alcohol is very hard to see while burning; the various
canister stoves also can explode or leak . . . you just gotta weigh the
risks, the situation, and your abilities, and at least run thru your
mind what might go wrong, and what your reaction/escape plan is . . .
One thing that always gave me comfort is the fact that my primary
backpacking tents usually have doors at both ends, so I have an escape
route totally away from the stove that is out in the vestibule at one
end of the tent.  Having a tent with doors [and vestibules] at both ends
is not a bad idea for two people backpacking, but that is a "too heavy"
luxury for most lightweight AT hiking . . . but a tarp works well there!
:)

Hope this info is of some value to somebody! :)

Thru-Thinker