From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Sloetoe
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 6:37 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Hogwash

> From: W F Thorneloe <thornel@attglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Question about alcohol stove use

> Please, don't do that!
### EXACTLY. YOU DID THIS LAST SPRING. HOGWASH THEN, HOGWASH
NOW.

> I know it is tempting to try to stay dry and cook under that
> very flammable silnylon.
### Sez who? Go out tonight, take strips of PU-coated oxford
nylon, silnylon, and 16oz cotton denim, and put a lighter to
each for a full count of three seconds. Or do SOMETHING, for
Godsake, to back this claim. But STOP repeating what you know
NOTHING about.

> It is a very common gamble among hikers,
### "Very common gamble"? Hogwash. In all my years outdoors, up
and down the East Coast, on Lake Superior in winter,
blah-blah-blah, observing THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of hikers AND
CAMPERS, I can count the number of times I have observed persons
cooking inside their tents ON ONE HAND. STOP repeating what you
know NOTHING about.

> and a too common entry ticket to a burn unit.
### MORE OF SAMMMMMMMME. Hogwash. You've been on the list
longer'n me, OrangeBug. Show me JUST ONE archive post of a hiker
heading to a burn unit 'cause they fried more than just eggs in
their tent. ONE. Show me two and I'll buy dinner. Three, and you
can pick the movie and bring a date. Four, show me just FOUR
hikers mentioned in the vast intelligence archive that is
www.backcountry.net, and ...... I'll .... Oh, I just can't THINK
of what could measure up.....

### Cut it out, PLEASEEEEEE????
> From: RoksnRoots@aol.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:58:06 EDT

>         ***     If any newbies are watching, you should
> remember to never use a stove inside a tent. The monoxide
fumes will act just like a car running in a closed garage and
asphyxiate you!!!
### If any newbies are watching, you should remember to cook
inside your tent with appropriate ventilation, like those who
climb Everest, Denali, etc, or who walk to the poles of the
Earth. Would that *they* did not cook inside their tents, we'd
have no explorers.

### Come on, guys. Deep breath. Post from experience. Move
along.

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!