[at-l] Not OT at all - Dangerous turtles?

In a message dated 07/03/02 10:51:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> The only thing I've been "attacked" by when hiking was ground bees.  There
> was a nest in the trail (the nest is underground with a small entrance that
>
> is a hole in the dirt about the diameter of your thumb) and when I walked
> over it, it riled them.  They chased me for quite a ways and were true
> kamakazi types.  They had no fear of being swatted.  Their one and only
> objective was to sting me which 4-5 succeeded in doing.

Had the same problem in my backyard when I relandscaped it.  The previous
owners had put in railroad tie steps which I replaced with stone steps.
Problem was that the ground bees had nested in the old steps.  Became a long
process of stirring them up, running away for a while, coming back and moving
the step a bit further which stirred them up again, etc.  Even with the
running away, got stung about a dozen times across a weekend.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---