[at-l] Not OT at all - Dangerous turtles?

William the non-biting Turtle wrote:

>I know it's kind of off topic, but I got to thinking about turtles
>(especially snapping turtles) after reading this news flash from Reuters.
>
>Besides bears and dogs has anyone been "attacked" by other AT >denizens?

We camped one night in Mass with a friend who was treed (on the upper bunk
of a shelter) by a persistent porcupine.  We have other friends with the
same experience, but not when we were present.

There were, of course, the goats in Virginia, but that can't be termed an
"attack" just persistence.  And the bear in NH -

On the CDT, I was charged by a moose - sorta.  He was a yearling and had a
lady moose with him so he was doing the teenager showoff thing.  It wasn't a
serious charge and it confused both of us.

And Ginny has twice been attacked by Spruce Grouse - once in Colorado and
once in Montana.

All of which are funny in retrospect if a little worrisome at the time.

Walk softly - I sometimes DO bite,
Jim