[at-l] Backpacking the AT in CT & MA?

I live in SW CT and have recently completed hiking the 53 miles of the
AT in CT in 5 day trips, so perhaps I can be of assistance. The trail
itself is very pretty, with a wide variety of terrain and moderate
ups/downs, with only a few steep portions.

There is no overnight parking at the exact southern end of the CT
section, but there is at Bulls Bridge, about 3-4 miles north. The
intersection of the AT and Route 341 at Kent is about 8 miles north of
Bulls Bridge and has only a few roadside spots, so is probably not an
ideal location to leave a car for a week but is probably safe.

Plenty of parking is available at the Undermountain Trail which leads up
to Bear Mountain (the CT version) at the northern end of the CT section
of the AT (after going over Bear Mountain and back to the Undermountain
Trail by the Paradise Lane trail), but this is only 53 miles from the
beginning, so that is not close to the 80 you want to do.

I am not familiar with the lower MA section of the AT, but will probably
hike some of it in the next few weeks. According to the Stackpole
guidebook, there is overnight parking at the following locations futher
north: Jug End Road, South Egremont (+11 miles) MA 23, Great Barrington
(+13 miles) Tyringham Main Road, Tyringham Cobble (+12 miles)

There is a bus line which runs on US 7 which closely parallels the AT in
northern CT and MA, from Danbury CT to Bennington VT which could be a
potential shuttle option for you. The url is
http://www.bonanzabus.com/nypitben.htm I also go to that area
frequently, so depending upon your schedule and mine, I may be able to
shuttle you from your car spotted at your ending point to your starting
point, gratis. I will send you my email address offlist.

Richard

ATsomeday