[at-l] Japanese girl VS playboy --- VIRUS?????????

At 11:52 AM 6/29/02 -0500, TJ Fort wrote:

>ok.  How did this attachment get to the list??  Or is it like the other time
>with a virus?

As Ryan said, we can stop this if we want to make everyone use plain font
in their email programs.  The different fonts and colors come across as a "tag"
a form of an attachment.  The b*stards that are writing virii are taking
advantage
of this to create viri which can be attached to an email in the same manner.
Right now, we are shielded form virii that use html but this new generation
can get through.  I think Ryan said that about a half of the posters use
a different font or color. If he changed the system to refuse them, all
post by these folks would be bounced.  BTW...that also means that
someone has to authorized the bounce I think.

Gang, this isn't gonna get any better.  If we change to filter fonts, the next
generation of virus are just gonna be more clever.  The answer is personal
responsibility or change your settings to "no mail" and read the group via
the usenet newsreader or the forum or the instant archives.

Personally, I feel using email is like have sex.  It's up to everyone to
protect
themselves.  It's not that hard.
Don't open attachments.
Use an anti virus program.
Update it frequently...at least once a week.
Run a complete scan of your own machine al least once a week.

If you all think I'm being a pain about this, this weekend I got an email from
a lister to thank me for listing  the housecall site

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
to get your puter checked online
because they ran it and found TWELVE virii on their system.
They had no clue except their system was acting funky.

I want to thank whoever posted the housecall site but I can't remember
who did it so .....thanks <g>.

BTW......THANK YOU RYAN!!  If you didn't know, the backcountry server
which houses all the forums, journals and pics has been under determined
attack.
Ryan has put in prolly thirty hours of work to protect our stuff in the
last couple
days.  This has not been a random hit and run  hacker since  he first went
after
the forums and then the gallery.....