[at-l] one ounce headlamp

At 07:21 PM 6/28/2002 -0400, Hopeful wrote:

>I went by an outfitters this afternoon to compare my lamp with some they
>sell. I was favorably impressed with a 2.8 ounce lamp made by Princeton
>Tech. I think that is the name of the company. It has 3 LEDs that are
>BRIGHT!!! It was possible to see the light shining on the wall in a fully
>lit store. It has 3 brightness setting and two emergency flasher setting.

A week or two back I had at least two people on this list telling
me that the Princeton Tech Aurora was somehow much better
than the Petzl Tikka headlamp that I'd just bought.  But neither
of these folks were specific about just why the PT lamp was better...

Whatever -- the Princeton Tech lamp must be pretty damn good.

FWIW, the Tikka will throw a beam at least 50-75 feet, and an
intense beam (sufficient for walking at night in the woods) for
a good 20 feet, at least.  I was very pleased with it on my hike
near Hanover last weekend.

The Tikka uses three AAA batteries in series.  It also has three
clear LEDs.  I don't have any good data yet on how long the
batteries will last.  So far I've got about 3 hours out of it, with
no visible loss of light intensity.

There's only one brightness setting, and it is *very* bright.  I
guess incandescent bulbs are history, for trail use.

rafe b.
aka terrapin