[at-l] One ounce LED headlamp

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:32:41 -0500 kahley <kahley@ptd.net> writes:
> Wow..what was the cost?

Before or after I bought the wrong batteries?

Right now I have about $15 invested, batteries not included. I already
had some plexiglass and wire from other projects, I took the switch and
lens from an old Rayovac "Roughneck" flashlight. About $4 could have been
saved if I had used one LED. I used two because I couldn't find the
brighter 5600 mcd locally. Well, I could not find one that produces white
light. Radio Shack carries red and yellow in that intensity.

The tools used were a small soldering iron, wirestripers, scroll saw and
drill press (to cut and shape the plexiglass) and some clothes pins. I
used the clothes pins while soldering and to hold things steady while the
glue set up. Looking back, I think it would have been much easier to use
a soft plastic, like class 2 plastic milk jugs, because plexiglass is
hard to work with. Care must be taken or the plexiglass with shatter. At
one point, the drill press pulled the plexiglass out of my grip and
tossed it across the shop.

A phase two headlamp is on the drawing board, now that I've learned
things from this first attempt. I wish I had used cardboard on the
prototype because I'll not be able to remove the battery holders from the
plexiglass. These cost about $2 each. Waxed cardboard from a milk carton
might actually have several advantages. It would be durable and weather
resistant and parts glued to it could be removed and reused.  Hopeful

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.