[at-l] One ounce LED headlamp

Tonight I finished making my head lamp but I had to fall in the floor and
kick and scream because I had bought batteries that are 22mm diameter
instead of the 20mm needed to fit in the holders I bought. It was quite a
sight to see.

Some time back somebody (Jan I think) recommended the Yahoo "make your
own gear site" to me. I was intrigued by the one ounce headlamp made from
quarter size 3.6v batteries and LEDs. The submitter ( James Alpigini)
thinks the batteries will last 40+ hours. Well, I began looking at the
local Radio Shacks and such places to see if I could find materials to
make my own.

I could not find 5600 mcd LED recommended so I've wired two 1100 mcd in
parallel. Actually, I found the 5600 on the internet but by the time I
paid shipping I could buy a Tekka. I'm taking a chance by using a smaller
current reducing resistor. This could zap the LEDs right off or, at the
least, shorten their usable life. Well, that's life on the edge. At my
age, I need a 500w halogen to see clearly and the small resistor may
allow the LED to be brighter................or they could just fry when I
turn the switch on.

I used some plexiglass as a mounting and glued the two battery holders,
the resister and the two LEDs to it. I used a push on/off switch from an
old mini flashlight as well as the protective lens. The case is a 35mm
film can. By shear luck, the inside diameter of the can is such that the
old flashlight would slide into it like it had been designed that way. I
cut a .5 inch square hold into the can so the on/off switch can be
mounted there. If the thing actually works, I'll use some bathtube
silicone to weather proof the switch opening and the front lens. I cut
off the bottom of the plastic film can and replaced it with the lens off
the old flashlight.

Once I see light actually coming out, I'll invest in a length of elastic
which I'll attach to the film can top. This will become the handband. I
don't know how much weight the elastic will add. Tonight I put the
headlamp and the two incorrect size batteries on my little kitchen scale
and it all totally up to just a smidgen under one ounce. My old trusty
Petzl weighed 9 ounces.

Ya'll wish me luck as I go back to Radio Shack to get the right size
batteries. If this thing works, it would be a worthy project for folks
looking to shave 8 more ounces (4 packs of tuna or 2 snicker bars) off
their gear weight.  Hopeful

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.