[at-l] Hammock designs and sleeping bags

On my thru-hike in 2000 I was able to thoroughly test the HH and learn =
about the plusses and minuses of hammock camping.  Also, at Trail Days =
this year I learned a lot about hammock camping from Ed Speer, his =
"Speer Hammock", and how it compared to the HH.

The problems I was having with the HH weren't easily remedied with using =
the Hennessey in a different way.  Instead, there were significant =
changes that I needed to make to the HH to make it function like a Speer =
Hammock.  Instead of spending time with my sewing machine to retrofit =
what I thought was a marginal HH design, I just decided to go with the =
Speer Hammock.  Granted, the HH may look a little "cooler" but I was =
more interested in functionality.  The HH's "stealth entryway" wears off =
after a while and one gets wet occassionally with the HH's marginal =
tarp.

Length of the hammock was the big problem I had. The HH that I bought =
wasn't long enough (and maybe not wide enough either) for me, since I'm =
6'4".  The Speer Hammock fits me better, since the models are sized =
according to height.  Also, Ed Speer is around 6', so I knew that he'd =
make something that would fit me.  I was able to lay almost flat in the =
Speer hammock, where I bowed more in the HH.  Because of this I didn't =
get as good of a night's sleep in the HH as I'd wanted.  Ed's =
trail-tested miles told me that I could trust that a longer hammock =
would work better for me.  So far it has.

In the HH I got cold frequently, which was mostly due to me not having =
enough insulation below me.  I tried mylar-type material under me and =
although it may have helped a little, it didn't work too well because of =
condensation.  Plus, I was "crinkling" all the time moving around.  I =
also slid around in the HH at night on my Thermarest.  The Thermarest =
was too narrow to give me enough insulation below me.  I now use a =
slightly wider foam pad than what one can generally find in camping =
stores -- Speer Hammocks sells these.  I also use a slightly warmer =
sleeping bag.  At some point I am probably going to order one of Speer's =
Surround Sound sleeping bags that goes around the hammock, since this =
insulative technique makes the most sense to me.  Wish I had that when I =
was on the AT.

Although some like the bottom opening on the HH, I didn't like it after =
using it for over 500 miles on the AT.   I found it cumbersome and =
impractical and sometimes I ended up with some of my gear on the ground. =
 Using this type of opening on the ground like a bivy sack or tent (when =
its cold) is nearly impossible.  Ed's is made to be used on the ground =
like a bivy if needed when its too cold to sleep in the air.  Its easy =
to get into and out of it.  This is just a personal preference, but I'd =
rather enter the hammock from the top, and then use it as a lounge chair =
occassionally, and have the option to use the bug netting when the bugs =
are bad.  I don't have to carry the bug netting in the spring or fall, =
lightening my pack.  One would have to spend a lot of time cutting and =
sewing and applying velcro to the HH to make the bug net work the same.  =
Some people also wouldn't want to deal with a separate bug net, because =
it might be a hassle.  I think it makes sense being detachable, but then =
again, that's just my preference.

So far, I haven't used my Speer Hammock more than a few nights at a time =
on a couple of weekend trips.  I've taken naps in it and used it for =
lounging in camp.  I think it works better than the HH for me because =
the features make more sense for me functionality-wise.  The tarp is =
much larger and I know it'll keep me and my gear dry (and I can use it =
without the hammock if I need to).  I am going to continue to use the =
Speer Hammock system on my future trips, since its a system that works =
for me.

Ed does sell the Surround Sound sleeping bag (that goes around the =
outside of the hammock), but I don't think he's got a picture of it up =
on his web site yet.  Calling him or e-mailing him is probably the best =
bet to learn more about it.  I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any =
questions.

Contact: Speer hammocks Inc., 34 Clear Creek Road, Marion, NC 28752-6407 =
 Phone: 828-724-4444   Email: ed@speerhammocks.com   =
www.speerhammocks.com
=20

--|> G-Force