[at-l] Feathered Friend's Response to the Hammock Sleeping bag combo

Feathered Friends responded first.

Here's our discussion, my response first, then Peter's email to me.

Peter,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The hammock and length of the bag would determine the width of the slot. The more elastic the slot, the less precise the slot would need to be.

I would think there'd have to be some over-lap in the slot to minimize wind getting into the bag; eg., at the foot, the hammock could enter the outer shell of the sleeping bag at the very end of the bag, but would not enter the inner sleeping area, if at all, until about the knee area.

The exit from the outer shell of the bag at the head end I would guess should be around the shoulder and I'd expect to have a foot and a half of over-lap before then.

In order for this to work, the "mummy" bag shape wouldn't necessarily be the best configuration for the bag.

I have a "home-made" hammock made of a length of rip-stop nylon. I simply tied off a knot at each end.

A simple elasticized slot or hole at the foot would work fine, but the shoulder area is more complex and the slot would need to curl around the shoulders toward the top of the bag.

I'm planning an experiment with a 25-35 yo slumberjack later this year, but I don't know how to insert the over-lap into an already built bag.

David

David,

We got a phone call about eight years ago from someone who claimed to have

"invented" a combination bag/hammock. We were not really interested in

producing such an item because few of our customers use the bags in areas

that lend themselves to hammocks, and the development would have been

arduous.

Making a bag that slips over a hammock certainly is plausible and would

involve a lot fewer construction issues than building the hammock right into

the bag. My number one question is, "how wide would the slot need to be."

Regards,

Peter