[at-l] nude hiking

> I say this for two reasons.  The first is that
> whether or not a nude male hiker presents a risk to
> others, one might reasonably think that his state
> of undress could be perceived that way.

I think that there is an important distinction between
'public' nudity - hiking nude on a well used trail, and
being nude in a place where one is unlikely to encounter
other people.  I am NOT one who proposes, supports, or
recommends hiking nude on well traveled trails where one is
likely to encounter other people suddenly.  It can be
problematic for a number of reasons.  I wouldn't go nude in
a hospital parking lot.  I wouldn't go to the mall in a
bathing suit either.  For that matter, I wouldn't go to the
beach in coveralls.  'Clothing appropriate to the activity'
is a phrase I like, and sometimes that 'clothing' is nothing
at all.  Nudity in a 'public' place is not something
generally accepted in our society.  I don't think the AT is
a good place to go sauntering around nude all the time, and
I have never encouraged that behavior.  A nude male hiker
who innocently enough stumbles across a girl scout troop,
for instance, is likely startle and upset some people; and
is likely to get pepper maced - or worse.

When hiking out West, it was 'normal' to meet nude hikers
and groups of nude hikers even on well traveled trails,
especially early in the morning.  There doesn't seem to be
that kind of tolerance and free thinking in the East for
such behavior.  On certain trails out west.  I met MORE nude
hikers than clothed ones, but this is admittedly rare.  Once
you have encountered it a dozen times or so, it ceases to
matter...

> And lets face it, the sight of some of us swinging
> down the Trail after we have been in the woods a
> couple days-- old, bald, fat, unwashed and
> unshaven--isn't going create images of innocence
> and wonder.  Shane could be the exception, of course.

Ha!  Not likely.  Well, at least I'm not bald...  I have
been 'caught' a few times in places where I did not expect
to meet other people.  I have never had anyone react badly,
except for one ranger in a remote part of Yosemite who
wanted to write me a ticket for skinny dipping, which I
talked him out of doing.

I think that we all look and smell like axe murderers after
we've been out for a week or so, weather or not we  are
wearing clothes.  More than one person has told me, 'You've
got a WILD look in your eyes.', after coming off the trail.
The subtle suggestion that nude males MUST be perverts but
that someone wearing clothes must be OK is a bit silly to
me.  The idea that 'sexual assaults on the AT all involve
nude hikers' is one that is so contrary to my experience
that I cannot believe that it's true, and I would really
like to hear some cases to back that statement if it is
true.

> If there has even been just once case, all the more
> reason for men to understand how their nudity might be
> intimidating.

Even with ZERO cases, men - and women - should understand
that some people may be uncomfortable in the presence of
nude people.  This is one of those no-brainers, though.  You
wouldn't go firing a gun at random or waving a sword around
people who were strange to you.  Common sense is involved
here.

> There are laws about this, right?

What?  My body is illegal?  How can you illegalize the human
body?  I suppose that's a topic for a different list...

Yes and no.  There are no NPS or NFS rules or regulations
against nudity, per se, except in some specific parks.  NPS
officers will try to write you up for 'disorderly conduct',
and NFS rangers will do the same if they get a complaint.
Officers and rangers CANNOT write you up WITHOUT a
complaint, and they can't file the complaint themselves.
That is a matter of court record.  The fine is $50.00.
That's what I understood as of about five years ago, and I
don't think anything has changed.

There are, however, certain state laws that can apply.  In
Arkansas, for instance, nudity in mixed company is totally
forbidden - as is even talking about the subject in
Arkansas, despite what the First Amendment has to say about
that.  I don't spend much time in Arkansas...  Of course, in
some states, state law doesn't apply to federal land.  I
know that's supposed to be true in Florida, but I'm not a
lawyer and not sure about anywhere else.

Having said all that, I do recommend natural interaction
with one's natural habitat when possible and appropriate.
'Possible and appropriate' are judgments that each person
must make individually based on the area.  That doesn't mean
to say that you should go naked in a mall, or streak through
down town Harper's Ferry - because you are likely to get
arrested, or worse...

As for me, if I am off the trail and encounter a waterfall,
in I go sans clothes.  Others may feel the need to wear long
coveralls.  To each their own...

Now, should it happen that I make it to the top of Katahdin
one day, and nobody is around for a half mile or so, then
you can bet that I'm going to meet the mountain on my own
terms.  To each their own...

Shane