[at-l] nude hiking

I don't think you guys should be so quick to dismiss Ambler's point.

I say this for two reasons.  The first is that whether or not a nude male
hiker presents a risk to others, one might reasonably think that his state
of undress could be percieved that way.   Imagine if one of the women in our
lives came across a nude man in the parking lot of a local hospital wearing
a friendly grin.  You think she would be going back to there alone?  You
think she would need our support?

Why would we think that a woman's reaction would be different on the AT?
There a couple reasons, of course.  Tradition and setting, perhaps.  But
remember, hiking nude in not much of a tradition on the Trail, and many
hikers have a built-in concerns about the woods, whether its a woman hiking
alone or whether its a couple men hiking with revolvers.  The vunerability
some people feel in that environment makes it all the more important to be
sensitive to others.

And lets face it, the sight of some of us swinging down the Trail after we
have been in the woods a couple days-- old, bald, fat, unwashed and
unshaven--isn't going create images of innocence and wonder.  Shane could be
the exception, of course.  I have no way of knowing.   But remember, as a
person passes you on the Trail, you can likely expect to see them again
around the bend, or at a shelter.   Whether you want to or not.

I am not sure of the connection between nude hikers and asaults on the AT.
The corrollation doesn't seem right, and I too would like to know more
before accepting it.  I seem to recall that a nude hiker was purpoted to be
involved in the in assualt in the Michaux State Forest a few years back,
however.  If there has even been just once case, all the more reason for men
to understand how their nudity might be intimadating.

In the end, its not the nudity I have trouble with.  Splashing around naked
in a place one could kinda-reasonbly think was private seems natural in my
book.  If a lone woman hiker happens by, she would be passing something that
could reasonably be expected in such a spot.  If some little kids get an
eyeful, so what, they won't be scarred for life.  Coming across a man
walking down the middle of the Trail seems to be something entirely
different, however.  And for many people, no different than encountering
such a sight in a dark hopital parking lot.

There are laws about this, right?

Rick B