[at-l] ..the grey wonder - NOT OT

Dear Mr Turtle -
and models of Duct Tape were used in our Blister Mitigation Field Tests and
that all failed under the specified conditions (i.e.- massive and continual
dunking in snowmelt streams over a prolonged period of time).

This is not, however, to be construed as a complaint about Duct Tape in
particular.  All other remedies also failed under the same extreme
conditions.  Compeed probably lasted the longest (approximately 1 hour)
while Moleskin was utterly useless after approximately 15 minutes.  Duct
Tape (depending on brand and application area) lasted between 10 and 30
minutes.

Please note that these extreme conditions (8 to 12 knee-to-thigh-deep
snowmelt fords per day) are not generally encountered by AT hikers.

Your advice regarding duct tape selection is duly noted and coincides with
the results of our Blister Mitigation Field Tests.  We sincerely thank you
for your independent and unsolicited corroboration of our field test
results.

You wrote:
>And of course the Perverse Fairy Godmother sometimes will cause even the
>best to fail.

We have found this statement to be entirely true. We believe this effect
falls under either the Third Corollary of Murphy's Law (although we didn't
realize that Murphy was a Fairy Godmother) or under the more general heading
of "Gremlins with prybars and hammers".  We tend to favor the Gremlin theory
since Murphy knew nothing of duct tape and Gremlins are omnipresent and
omnivicious.  But the evidence for either theory still ranges from fuzzy to
non-existent.  Therefore, we are still open to other irrational
explanations.

YMMV  :-)))

Walk softly,
Jim