[at-l] Advocacy list

Actually, that is a very good question.

Who benefits from hiking? Certainly, there is the benefit the
individual hiker derives from the walk. But there is much more to the
hike than just the act of moving feet.

The preparation of a trail, the development of hiker and other
community services, the maintenance of the same, the employment of the
gear companies and outfitters, the dreams of the wannabes, the
management of the land and local clubs, the motivation provided to
those who prepare and support, and many other benefits occur from our
sport.

It is this real world advocacy and benefit cycle that our naysayers
ignore, repeating strident claims of complacency and lack of dedication
to our sport and our trails. Rather than practice advocacy, these bin
Ladens have hijacked our list and wrecked much of our community's
resources. I hope a seperate list gets them an ounce of motivation to
allow the list to be resurrected.

I am not very hopeful, as I suspect they have left us with a mound of
rubble where the campfire once blazed.

Bill...