[at-l] ready to drop

 Send me -- privately -- the urls for the other lists ... thanks.
  Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com> wrote: 0) We've missed the point. Entirely.

1) There are half a dozen listers who've turned the at-l into
their personal soap box, capitalizing on the otherwise-captive
audience to argue the number of angels dancing on the head of a
pin. And argue and argue and snipe and ooze snide side-comments
and puff self-importantly about this opinion or that, none
realizing the inanity of the whole discussion, the irrelevancy
of the topic, the waste of net resource, the loss of list
community, and the loss of the list. Want to point fingers? Look
at who's posted in the past 5 (typical) days. Off any 100 posts,
90 have come from one knot. The other 10 are drowned out.

2) I spent too much time fighting this in the past year. Spent
too much time defending the at-l's relevancy to others (who've
left anyway). The poison oozes unabated; logic holds no sway,
jokes go unchuckled/unheeded, insults fail to wake the dead from
their zombie march to idiocy.

3) And now we're back to debating a second list. *This* list
*was* fine. In one recent period where the ugly-knot listers
shut up, there was a fine flow of absolutely INSPIRING posts
from others, NEWBIES to the list (and some new to hiking), on
why we're here, why we hike, why it's important for us as
persons, as citizens, as HUMANS, to get out there and turn our
little words into deeds. But no, that could not flower -- it had
to be once again drowned out by the flow of ME! ME! LISTEN TO
ME! posts from the ugly knot. Had one once again this morning --
"I'm gonna stay where the audience needs to hear me!"

4) Fuck it. I'm outta here. The at-l is a great elist; this is
not the at-l. Restrict everyone to one public response a week
and it might be forced to "Stay on topic!" without assinine
follow-up debates on the meaning of "stay" or "on" or "topic".
But as it stands, there are more than a few backcountry elists,
and some of them actually talk trail, and knowledgeably.

Sloetoe
(IAT'02?)

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!