[at-l] New home in the Whites

----- Original Message -----
From: <saunterer@jimbullard.org>

> Sounds great.  Are we all invited or just Art?  :)

oops.  It does sound that way a bit, doesn't it?  <g>  And I've never even
met Art!

Haven't met you yet either, saunterer, so I guess you can come too.  I
*have* met Felix.  hmmmm . . .

all are welcome.  (yes, Felix, that means you too!)  That road trip sounds
like a winner, Black&blue!  What to bring . . . . well, I've gotta admit
that having some friends up here with another vehicle certainly sounds good.
My biggest frustration with all this new hiking territory is the lack of
connections yet to pick me up after a few days walking.  It's one thing to
plan a big trip which requires a one time shuttle.  It's another thing to
impose on folks you don't know well to shuttle you weekly for those "I've
got two days off!" excursions.

My first local shuttle though was a bit of fun - the guy picked me up in a
'75 Citroen farm truck.  What a funky cool vehicle, although it doesn't have
much speed!  I was doing a one day hike of the Moats that time, and he
apologized because his aging uncle insisted we stop by first before I hiked.
I had met "Uncle Dave" several times before, but had no idea what this was
about.  What a treat it ended up being: this uncle just so happens to be the
author of "Peterson's Guide to the Geology of the Eastern United States" and
had done a private research project on the Moats back in the 70s, because
their geology is unique in the White Mountains.  So I got my private geology
lesson that morning about the mountains I was about to hike (a 10 mile
stretch that traverses a series of three peaks, two that get close to 3000
feet and one that goes over that, but all with 360 degree views of the
area - they overlook my new home, which is why I chose this as one of my
first hikes).  And I knew which type of rock to bring a sample home of - on
my desk now sits a piece of Moat Mt rock.  Is this a fun world, or what??

So . . . would the road trip crew like a geology lesson on the White
Mountains?  Could be arranged.  "Uncle Dave" might be aging, but he's still
a real character!  And knowing Uncle Dave, I suspect a love of single malt
could be (should be?) accommodated during the lesson <G>

suz