Re[4]: [at-l] We're he from the government and we want to help you

Bob C. wrote:
>"...You'd  be  singing  a  different  tune if the USFS burned a hundred
>thousand acres around the AT in Maine," thinks Bryan K.
>
>The  USFS  didn't  burn 100,000 acres in Virginia. The fire according to
>all the reports  I've  seen  was  started by lightning.

Uh - Bob?  The one in VA was started by lightning - but in the last few
years there have been at least 10 major fires that were started by USFS -
usually as "controlled burns."  We've seen them in California, New Mexico
and Colorado - and when they get out of hand, they burn off hundreds of
thousands of acres.  I can tell you more about this if you want -- but it
would support Bryan's view of "government" a lot more than yours.

>A ranger violated regulations by burning some letters in a fire place. She
>should be reprimanded for this. I have yet to see evidence of any harm the
>burning letters caused.

How about 103,000 acres of forest and 25 homes?  What kind of "reprimand"
would be appropriate here?

>In  case  no one else has noticed, in my experience all humans from time to
>time make  mistakes.  Some even deliberately cheat, steal and rob. One
>reason we have government is to keep the cheats in hand, and to manage
>things we as individuals can't do our selves.

Sometimes it works that way -- and sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes the
government cure is worse than the free enterprise disease. That doesn't mean
we don't need some level of "government" - but it most certainly means that
either trusting that "government" too much or handing over our lives to it
is really not a good idea.

Walk softly through that burned and blackened forest,
Jim