Re[4]: [at-l] We're he from the government and we want to help you

"...You'd  be  singing  a  different  tune if the USFS burned a hundred thousand
acres around the AT in Maine," thinks Bryan K.

The  USFS  didn't  burn 100,000 acres in Virginia. The fire according to all the
reports  I've  seen  was  started by lightning. A ranger violated regulations by
burning some letters in a fire place. She should be reprimanded for this. I have
yet to see evidence of any harm the burning letters caused.

In  case  no one else has noticed, in my experience all humans from time to time
make  mistakes.  Some even deliberately cheat, steal and rob. One reason we have
government is to keep the cheats in hand, and to manage things we as individuals
can't do our selves.

I  like to hike long distances. Since I can't afford to buy giant land corridors
suitable  for  long  distant hiking, and since there is not enough land on earth
for  everyone  to have a parcel the size of a national forest, I urge government
to buy these parcels so that I and others can use them.

 I suggest that those who think a pleasant society can exist without the help of
 government should visit Somalia, which has managed without government for quite
 a  few  years now. By Bryan's standards it should be a paradise -- no taxes, no
 government regulations. No police. Just pure free enterprise.

 If  you  get  to  go  -- and survive the visit -- be sure to report back to the
 list.

 Weary