[at-l] Maine land prices

At 02:07 PM 6/15/2002 -0400, Texas Twelve-Step wrote:

>If someone goes to a car dealer and flashes a dog-choking
>motherlode of bills while emphatically saying that he's
>just *got* to have a specific, unique car on the lot,
>you can bet that the dealer will charge a hefty, non-
>negotiable premium. The asking price for Saddleback was
>bloated because the buyer had a thirteen-figure annual
>budget and declared that it had legislatively compelled
>itself to purchase that particular piece of land.

Because the "buyer" was the US government, does that
give the seller the moral right to take shameless advantage
of the situation?

>Nature has no such right. It has no rights, period.

But if we keep screwing over nature, we will only be
screwing over ourselves.  We can run, but we can't hide.

>How do private individuals tyrannize you?

Oh please, use your imagination, Texas.  Are you
claiming that all evil flows from government?  Mind you,
I have heard that argument before...

rafe b.
aka terrapin