[at-l] What I hope to be a prompting for further research...

In a message dated 6/14/2002 10:47:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> R&R:
> >You have to be careful here. I'm sure the Maine records are taken at the
> >capitol or Portland at a very low altitude
>
> moi:
> That's an assumption unless you have evidence.  I presented the evidence I
> found in my research.  Discounting evidence with assumptions is not
> furthering anything.  Even if that's true the charts compare weather data
> from 1936 to weather data up through the present.  How often is it true
> that there is snow on most the AT in June that is drifted and requires
> breaking trail?

     ~~~ Even if the 34* state mean temperature is an accumulated average
from various recording stations, the mountain mean where the AT is was
probably 10* below that. What I'm saying is that this record does not
necessarily reflect a snow negative condition on the actual Trail route and
could even assist Gordon's statement. It isn't really an "assumption" to say
that 3000 ft ridges will be much colder than the spot where those
temperatures were recorded. What is record "warm" for March in Maine can be
downright freezing. It is also possible for floods to originate down away
from the ridgetops where the rains managed to reach and melt the snowpack
down there. Above that, from say 2000 feet and up there's absolutely no
reason to doubt that heavy snow was falling during the same period. In this
case, it would be possible to have a deep snowpack on the Trail while having
severe snowmelt below. This deep wet snow could then have frozen hard in the
below average April and made a long lasting hardened base. I suggest that
this mountain snow load perhaps lead to the mention you noted of the winter
of 1936 being a heavy snow year. The nominal snow record you quoted was
probably from Augusta.  As for Max, well nearly sixty years later, he could
only remember these extraordinary mountain snowpacks on the Tail as being
continuous. After all, they would have been for every peak above 3000 feet in
those circumstances. He was a 15 year old city boy. It could have been a new
and daunting experience that lead to enlarged memories of prolonged
slogging...
      I do believe that lingering ridgetop snow bases are common for a bad
snow year into June. These base accumulations piled up into crevices could
appear like "drifts" to an inexperienced Bronx boy. Rafe's example shows
this, and his experience was 250 miles south. I'm sure there are anecdotes
about this from many of the Maine listers...

> R&R:
> >Besides that, a mean temperature of 34 degrees means it got down to 24 at
> >night, in the mountains maybe even 7 degrees.
>
> moi:
> True, the temperatures undoubtedly were colder at night but they also had
> to be warmer during the day.  When the mean temperature is above freezing
> snow melts, it does not accumulate.

     ~~~ The mountain effect only needed to subtract 2 degrees from that
average to have a snow stable mean. I'm convinced that Maine average mean
temperature for March 1936 was not measured up by the AT. Additionally, April
was abnormally cold! If I'm not mistaken, you could be proving his case...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---