[at-l] 1936 Scout hike: memory, AT involvement, endurance

Apologies for the brevity:

1) I am heading out the door to attempt my first hundred mile
race -- I am hoping to A) finish B) go sub24 hours. I have been
able to run about 20 miles a week (<4x5mile) runs, and have a
desk job. 70+ miles of Hudson->Kent in 18 hours compares nicely,
aye? (DIRTY LITTLE SECRET DEPT.: It's not such a big deal, once
you get over the mental "It's impossible!" block -- experience
counts for huge. Sound familiar? Like the AT?)

2) Although I kept my membership active and read every ATN I
got, except for mid80's Konnarock crew work, I didn't go near
the AT from 1979 to 1993, and then very infrequently from 1979
to 1999. I never attended any of the "events" we speak of until
the 1998 Gathering.

3) Prior to October 1999, I could have given you a detailed
floorplan of the inside of the Long Trail Inn. It had only been
20 years (or less), and my memories were very clear, but I found
out I would have been COMPLETELY WRONG.

4) I was positive I was 2000-miler # 1845 from my ATC
certificate (which I recall seeing again just 3-4 years ago).
RickB informs me the ATC website states "945 2000-milers
registered by 1980." WRONG (ME) AGAIN.

As I've said before, Max & Co. are like Lief Erikson: whether
they hit North America before Columbus is immaterial: it was the
other guy who made the splash last. Earl is our Columbus, and
whether there's a Lief out there or not, Earl changed history.

Best to you all,
Sloetoe

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!