[at-l] ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

In a message dated 6/13/2002 9:38:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbkramer@afn.org writes:

> Well another suspicious point: 14 days at 17 miles a day gives you 238
> miles, were there two sections of 200 plus miles of AT with no road
> intersections in those days. Sounds unlikely to me in the populated east
> coast area.

    *** Good point, especially since he was capable of going faster to meet
the next drop. Perhaps something like 11 days can be offhandedly remembered
as "two weeks"...

    Me, myself, I'm having trouble getting unfit boys across a snow covered
Maine in only 2 weeks. Maybe it's becoming clearer that these boys took some
serious short cuts and that's why they failed to file a claim when Earl did
it? After all, boy scouts cannot tell a lie. If Weary could get us an
accurate proportion of bottomland logging road walks vs mountain trail for
the AT in 1936 we could narrow it down. Much of the AT in Maine that is
presently up on high mountains went down in the valleys back then...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---