[at-l] ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

At 11:57 PM 06/12/2002 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>There was a section in Pennsylvania on my hike where I was shocked, upon
>checking my maps, that I did 4 miles in an hour. So it is possible...

For 18 hours straight?  And remember you did the section you refer to
mid-hike with fully conditioned body.  He alleges to have done this on a
dare when he was in his 30s and presumably holding a job, not hiking
daily.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it does stretch his
credibility.  I've done level stretches at 4 mph too but not continuously
for 18 hrs.  I did 26 miles in under 5 hours once without a pack (it was
called a marathon and I trained for 20 weeks to prepare) but I could not
have continued for either another 13 hours or another 46 miles even with
all the preparation I did.

sAunTerer