[at-l] Backpacks

When I did the AT I used large packs - my first was extremely large (at
least 6000 ci.) and the next merely big (about 5000 ci).  Both were
externals.  They were way too heavy, frequently uncomfortable and chaffed me
whenever it was hot, but I still finished the trail, both times.  As others
have said, with a larger pack, it is too easy to put in too much gear.  On
my first thruhike, my base weight was about 35 lbs - adding food and water
meant I was frequently carrying 45 lbs -- too much for my size.

A smaller pack will force discipline on you and make you think twice what
you need to carry. That being said, for the PCT and CDT I used mid-sized
backs - about 4000 ci - 5 lbs.  At this point, after 16 years of
backpacking, I've owned 6 packs, including one very light one that was okay
for overnight trips but too small for week long trips and with minimal
support. The best of all the packs I've had is the one I'm using now, a
Gregory Reality.  I bought it before going on the PCT when I couldn't find
anything that fit me right, and while it wasn't exactly right, I figured it
'would do' -- after all Jim was happy with his after 3000 miles -- it did
very well for me too over the long term. The worst I ever used was my first
one, which had no hip belt or padding on the shoulders, and no support at
all, and killed me with every step (but it was free.)  Though that was 16
years ago, it has kept me from investigating any of the current ultralight
packs -- I want my pack weight on my hips, and I want some padding on my
hips and shoulders.  The ultralight packs tend to have minimal padding, if
any.

There are a lot of packs you can buy that weigh about 5 lbs.  That gives you
some support, but not too much weight.  Look at Gregory or Osprey -- but
check the weight before you try it on.  Some of them can weigh 7 or 8 lbs.

One thing that isn't usually mentioned in the advice about renting packs is
that they rarely have anything light to rent.  They want the packs to last
at least one season, and usually several, so they tend to be bombproof --
not lightweight.

Ginny