[at-l] Replacing my filter need advice

At 06:43 PM 6/13/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm getting rid of my old PUR filter. Its the big heavy one that was removed
>from the market because they lied about what bug it would filter out....
>But anyway I'm looking at a sweet water which is lighter and a lot lot
>easier to pump. Anyone have experience with this filter? One problem I see
>is it looks like it might easily break. If you have a different filter in
>mind please share it.
>Thanks

The two leading contenders these days seem to be the
PUR and the MSR Miniworks.

Of the two, the PUR is the easier to pump, for sure.
If I'm not mistaken, it uses a paper filter element.  It
might also be a few ounces lighter than the MSR.

The MSR uses a field-cleanable ceramic filter element.
It takes me about 5 minutes of pumping to fill a quart
Nalgene bottle.  Oh, and the pump itself screws right
onto the Nalgene bottle -- a nice touch (one less thing to
hold onto and keep upright.)

To my thinking, the difference in pumping difficulty says
that the MSR must be doing more "rigorous" filtering than
the PUR. I could be all wet about that, however.

I'm generally biased towards MSR stuff.  Years ago I
carried a First Need filter, but I wouldn't recommend
that brand any more -- it was balky and heavy from
day one.  (I still have an unopened, new First Need
filter element if anyone can use it.)

rafe b.
aka terrapin