[at-l] Viruses are NOT coming from this list and from hammockhanger

Tim and AT-Lers,

I hope I can clear this up a little. The viruses you are getting are of Klez
type (more info below). This virus uses a very old security hole in Outlook
Express from Internet Explorer 5.01 and 5.5 (IE 6 is not affected). Security
patch here http://www.Microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp

The virus has is own email program and searches the computer for email
addresses and then randomly mails them out. The To:, From:, and ReturnTo:
paths are all random.

The messages are most likely not coming from Hammock Hanger. They more
likely are coming from someone that knows her. If they know her they will
most likely know the AT-L. So in theory at least, all the AT-L is
vulnerable.

Lets hope that the few people that use Outlook Express will update their
software. My fear is that a computer along the trail somewhere is infected.
Unless the libraries in the small towns along the AT know to check their
computers, we could be getting this virus for a while.

ZipDrive AT 99

Information on the virus.
>From ZDNet:
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2862410,00.html

"Once active on a PC, Klez.h bypasses installed e-mail software by using its
own SMTP server to send infected copies of itself. To locate addresses, the
worm searches files on the hard drive, looking for various file extensions
that may contain e-mail addresses. "