[at-l] Re: ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

Of course, there's snow and then there's snow.

I didn't read the article to clearly say that they were slogging
through thigh deep drifts all the way through Maine.  I read it to say
that there was snow within sight pretty much most of the time. But
maybe not literally ALL the time. Maybe not on hillsides facing
south, for example (but even there maybe where it had been
packed down by previous walkers).  Even this snow-poor winter
here in New York, I did some day hiking on the AT where the only
visible (packed) snow was actually on the Trail.

Now, granted back in the 1930s in Maine on the Trail (not on road
walk portions) there would have been fewer (or NO?) people to have
packed down the snow.  But I'm just positing possibilities here.

Kurt
Concordia