[at-l] ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

In a message dated 6/13/2002 2:18:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbenhameda@comcast.net writes:

> [r]    I agree that a 15 yr. old might not find it important, and that in
> '36 the structure of the trail community wasn't there, but my comments were
> in reference to his later (15+ years later) interactions on the trail when
> he would have been an adult with a different perspective and awareness, and
> when the trail community infrastructure was most likely a more solid and
> identifyable thing.

     ***   Except that the marathon was done in a scout context with other
scouts and therefore was off the AT screen. Being the first through-hiker was
something of concern to people disconnected from the scout world and far
away...

> [r]    Again, I am in agreement that this would be likely in '36, but I was
> thinking about when he was an adult user of the trail and would be more
> interested in talking with like-minded people.  He give evidence of this by
> his story about "test driving" his wife on a 5 mile hike in high heels
> before their marraige.  This was a primary concern in his life if we can
> draw conclusions based on the items (such as this) he offered to ATC in
> telling his story.

     *** Maybe he had all the "like minded people" he needed in the scouts?
Maybe he considered the scouts more important than AT people? Goodness knows
the scouts could have provided him all the hiking he wanted without involving
the AT...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---