[at-l] Re: ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

I recently ran into my old scoutmaster and had a talk with him about our weekend long juant on the at when I was a boy.  I remembered the year incorrectly, it was 1960.  We used gravel springs hut as a base camp.  During the whole week we meet only two through hikers (both from Dartmouth Hiking Club) and no day hikers!!

One of the first thinks I said to him was that I would have like to look at the hut journal for that year.  He informed me that there was not a journal at the Hut.  Hut journals were found farther north.  He also said that there was not any AT information to be found in the Huts, most of that came later.

I would have been the age of those scouts who claimed to have hiked in 1936 and I too was from the city (alexandria, Va)  I did not have a clue about the AT, all I knew was that we hiked a scetion of trail and I was under the impression that we may have hiked a goodly portion of it.

Of course I now know better, but that is because I have been very active hiking the AT over the past couple of years.  But I wonder.  I think the story is an interesting footnote and one worth investigating.

Cheers,

Grey OWl