[at-l] ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

Well I don't know weather the Scouts did it or not, but around about 1959, I
heard of Scouts doing a thru hike in the 30's. But that was from scouting
circles. At that point I had never heard of Earl, and until about 1967
believed the scouts to have been the first thru hikers. In fact when I first
heard of Earl, he was the first recognized solo thru hiker.
Frankly if one were to apply todays standards to define a thru hiker, I
would be very surprised if Earl were the first solo thru hiker.
If I look at some of the stuff folks have been questioning (like mileage),
well sounds about right to me for a group of kids out having fun. Often we
forget that folks didn't used to spend 1/4 of there life sittin in a car or
in front of a TV set.