[at-l] ATN article, 1936 Scout Hike

"...The older boys charted the course (from maps provided by the
> veterans) and led the way. The fact that he walked fifth or sixth in
> line was a real blessing in Maine, Mr. Gordon recalls. "There was
> snow most of the way through Maine, and the older boys had a harder
> time because they were breaking trail. I just followed on their
> snow-packed tracks."

I've  yet  to hear of anyone averaging 20 miles a day through snow and drifts in
Maine.  I  won't say it's not possible -- for a 15-year-old no less. But I'd bet
1,000 to 1 that it never happened.

He remembers 121 days, but not the start and finish dates. It sounds to me as if
six scouts spent a summer hiking portions of the trail.

In  my  experience  many  youngsters tend not to pay attention to where they are
going  or  what  sections of the trail they may be missing. There interest is in
the adventure and the interactions with their friends, not the route. Mr. Gordon
may  well  have  believed  he  walked the entire trail. But that doesn't make it
true.

I suspect the planned "promotion" was not for a thru hike, but simply to drum up
the  business  of  taking  kids  on  the  trail  for a summer. It's a common and
prosperous business now. Essentially entrepreneurs run a summer camp without the
need to have a camping facility -- just a few leaders, a pickup truck and a van.

I've  met  the then ATN editor several times. She is a very pleasant person. But
the gaps and missing questions in her account are enormous. She has never struck
me  as  an  especially  skilled  reporter,  just  a  warm,  friendly  person who
instinctively wants to believe whatever she is told.

As  I vaguely recall(?), she's married to one of the ATC executives, which might
explain why the board never wanted to investigate the claim.

Weary