[at-l] Gossamer accessories

Rafe replied:

"[re: Eureka Gossamer tent]

>  It weighs almost 4 lbs. when all accessories are included.  It usually
> costs around $100 or so to purchase.

Not quibble, but... what accessories?"

The only "extra" accessory, other than the standard stakes, stuff sack, etc., would be a groundcloth, which I included in the weight for both tents.  I bought the custom groundcloth when I bought the Gossamer and like it quite well for that tent.  I use a piece of 4ml plastic for the groundcloth for my Peak 1 Cobra (Exponent Inyo II).

The rainfly for the Gossamer is a part of the tent and cannot be taken off of it, only rolled back.  The rainfly for the Cobra is separate.

Rafe quoted the manufacturers stated weight in his reply, but we all know that those weights are about as accurate as their claims for how many people a tent is built for.  In the case of the Gossamer I noted that the tent is only considered for one person, while the Cobra follows the standard misrepresentation of the manufacturer in claiming to be a two person tent.

The weight I quoted was from using the same scale to weigh both tents.  I found the Cobra to be 3 ounces heavier, but far roomier in both vestibule and inside space.

I think I paid about $120 for my Gossamer, but that was four years ago.  I'm sure they can be bought more cheaply now.