[at-l] Re: What do I do first? : Gear

Good basics list!  I'd add to it the following:

Pack - newer materials allow you to get the same comfort for a pound or
two less today; also can remove the top and mail it home later in the
summer when you need less space and weight; can use trash bags as a real
lightweight pack cover - used right, they are MORE waterproof than ANY
coated nylon (heavier) pack cover, but are less durable.  Dana Designs,
Mountainsmith, and Gregory make darn good packs . . . among others . . .

Bag:  plan on changing out to something much lighter in summer months;
can do just fine with a Walmart fleece liner in summer; even in colder
weather, I like applying the same layering principle used for your own
clothing - get a lighterweight bag and couple it with the $60.00
Mountain Hardware bivy sack, which has coated nylon on the bottom and
breathable nylon on the bottom 2/3rds, with netting on the top 1/3rd.

Filter - PUR Hiker is still good, MSR and sweetwater, among others, also
have similar filters; other options are Polarpure iodine tabs, bleach
(no way I'd use that personally), and - my growing favorite - smaller
inline filters that can be coupled with a hydration water bag/tube
setup, or with squeeze 1 quart water bottles . . .

H2O bottles - Gatorade bottles are best - can go with wide-mouth
regular, or the open/close valve tops - and they are all free!  I think
taking a platypus like hydration water bag with in-line filter is a real
plus, though, along with one wide-mouth Gatorade plastic water bottle .
. .

Tent - the Clip flashlight is still really good; the MSR (formerly
Walrus Zoids) are another good, reasonably priced option - and they come
in three sizes - 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 . . . I think the silnylon revolution
is just starting, though - there are a growing number of silnylon tent
structures worth considering, and the silnylon tarps are a great choice
if they fit your "trail lifestyle."  Again, I started with a tent, and
graduated to a silnylon tarp as the weather got warmer - and, in
hindsight, I would say there was a total of about 8 nights I really
needed ANYTHING - the rest of the time I slept under the stars if the
weather seemed ok, even when at a shelter.

Stove - I'm still with the Whisperlight; however, I'm shopping for one
of the ultralight gas canister deals; still not ready for alcohol or
zip, but might well try either of those for the warmer months - heck,
when it got really hot, I did not even WANT to cook ANY meals, even at
supper . . . given that, the alcohol stove sure makes sense for the
summer months.

Pot - I like spending a few bucks for the MSR blacklight series, but
there is no screaming need to . . . my big additional idea is to spring
for the 79 cent mini tupperware bowl to nest with your pot - gives you
another eating vessel for soups, oatmeal, side dishes, etc.  Lexan cup
was my "cup" choice, but you don't even have to have a cup once it warms
up - but I had to have a cup for the cold weeks for my hot chocolate and
hot tea (I'm not a coffee drinker)

Rain Gear - I agree Gortex is heavier than you need, but there are some
lightweight, single layer breathables that would be ok; pit zips are
nice, but I'd still go with the $30 buck Sierra Designs or Red Ledge
specials; Red Ledge makes great stuff for the money - great rain pants,
too - which I think are a great layering item for winter, early spring
months . . . I used a baseball cap for my head - front cap brim keeps
rain out . . .

Boots/Shoes:  You probably will wear more than one type - I like
"regular" hiking boots for winter/early spring; after that, go as light
as your feet will allow - even some of the newer sandal models can work
in summer if you have good ankles - but, this is the item to go with
what works for YOU regardless of what the crowd says/does!

Socks:  Bridgedales are the best, IMHO, but ThorLos and Smartwools are
great, too.

Matches:  I say yes - a small quantity in waterproof container as a
back-up to your bic lighter, which can fail on you or get totally wet
and the flint not work

Rope:  none needed; about 40 ft of lightweight spectra cord (costs a
bit) or cheap nylon; both work fine . . .

Clothes: agreed, most people end up "needing" less than they think - no
cotton in general is a good rule, but cotton can be nice in hotter
months; key is choose underwear that works for you - most agree no
cotton there!  I liked the close-fitting boxer style REI undies (2 pr),
with 1 cheap polypro T-shirt and one thin long-undie style shirt top, I
added in a thin fleece jacket, nylon shell, rain pants, and i pr thin
long undies, and I was essentially done.  I carried a thin, lightweight
down vest (fleece is fine, too) for the first 4 weeks, then mailed that
home, then a couple of weeks later, mailed home the long undies and the
long sleeve top, and added a second polypro T-shirt top . . . took one
pr. hiking shorts (no cotton) and one pr walmart nylon swim shorts . . .
did not ever have all of the above at once in the pack . . .

Food:  Go with stuff that will keep you going! A bunch of freezedried
stuff won't give you enough calories; your tastes will change; thus I
recommend not planning your food out to the nth degree with dozens of
drops, just do outline of drops and have someone back home you can make
adjustments with . . .

Lighting:  you don't need much - Tikki headlamp is great; some just take
the itty bitty keychain light and do fine . . .

Compass:  Still should take a real light one, but I guarantee you won't
NEED to use it more than 1-2 times . . . some LIKE to use it every day,
but there is really no NEED except as an emergency kit item

HATS:  skip the fancy ones - just something you are comfortable, keeping
in mind two basic rules:  In the winter, if your feet are cold, put a
warm hat on (your head is the body's best radiator!); in the summer, you
want white or light, and you want it to be something you can dip in a
stream and put back on your head and go "aahhhh!" :)

Packtowel:  worth weight in gold - lightweight, great for cleaning
dishes, great for washing youself down with; great for a cold refreshing
splash on your face in hot months, weighs nothing - dries fast; can
serve in a pinch as a towel in a hostel shower, etc.

Journal/Camera:  Essential items to me - optional to others . . .

Hike on and have fun!

theu-thinker