[at-l] External-Frame Packs

  >kinda hard to "immediately" put yer paws on that darn item you always
  >pack at the bottom 'cause you never need it right off, but this one time
  >you DO need/want it out first! :)

[Rami:]
I've been thinking about this since the thread started.  I used to use an external and just recently switched to an internal that's smaller, fits better, and weighs less.

I don't have to unpack to get to what I want, but maybe that's because my external has some pockets on the outside....

Here's the rundown on my pack, how I pack it, and what I have to do to get to what I want:

At the top, there is a lid pocket.  Inside of that goes my pack cover (in a built in smaller pocket), my poncho, my camera, snacks, map/compass/journal/pen/flashlight/extra batteries/guidebook (all in one Ziploc) and my first aid kit.  I know that this adds a bit of weight to the highest part of the pack, but these are the things I get at 2nd most often.

Along the sides and at the front of the pack are two zip pockets and a removable shovel pocket with a bungee around it so that I can attach wet clothes as needed.  In these pockets go: water filter, potty kit, hygene kit (toothbrush, wet wipes, etc.), sandals

At the bottom of the pack on the sides are two mesh pockets for water bottles.  I rarely use water bottles, but when/if I do, they go here too.  I always put my bug spray in one and my paracord in the other.  I don't usually put on bug spray unless the little bastards get to be too greedy, but when I want it, I want it NOW.  This solves that problem.

Inside the pack from the bottom up are: my tent, my sleeping bag and pad, clothes, cook gear, food.

If I need my clothes, I have to lift out the food bag and that's all.  If I need to eat, the food and, if necessary the cook gear are right on top.

I used to be one of those who's entire pack's contents were spread out all over the picnic table or on the shelter floor.  I just figured that's the way I do it.  Then I got irritated with myself because I was bringing home stuff that I never used while hiking.  I organized myself and I always put things into the same place when I pack.  When I need something, it is exactly where it's supposed to be.

I completely understand the need to get to your stuff easily while hiking, but I don't think that you sacrifice that ability when you use an internal.  You just have to pick the right one and pack it with a bit more planning.

As a side note, Susan's doesn't have the pockets that mine does, and she's one of THOSE people who unloads her whole pack on the picnic table.  WHEN will she ever learn? <vbseg>

-r

oh, I forgot,  my pack is by mountainsmith but made for Galyan's so it's not on their website.  It's called the Mountain Guide.  It's very similar to the Expanse pack or the terra/vista women's pack if you care to go look.  It has a zipper which allows me to access the main compartment without taking the lid off so I can get to stuff down inside the pack, but I never use it.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---