[at-l] Re: Which footware to buy

As to those recently asking about "footware" [or, where I come from,
"footwear"0, I have not seen any of the responses warn about the
"growing foot" syndrome for long distance hikers.  During the course of
a 2,000+ mile hike, many people, especially those with higher arches and
skinny feet to start with, will experience a full one, or sometimes up
to TWO size increase in their foot sizing . . . also, like with much of
your gear, no matter how well you prepare, many of your definitions of
"need" and "quality" re gear [including footwear] WILL CHANGE over time
as you hike on . . . also, if you do the traditional northbound hike,
with a mid-March to mid April start at Springer Mtn. in Georgia, you may
find you need some heftier winter boots for the first 2-4 weeks, then
followed by much lighter items . . . even approaching sandals or tennis
shoes as it gets to the hot summer months, and you learn the value of
footwear that you can stay relatively cool in, that is lightweight, and
that maybe you even WANT to walk into cool streams in . . .

However, on the other hand, there are many people to whom the need for
ankle support overcomes any other desires for lighter weight, cooler,
etc.  In short, I think most would agree that one's footwear is perhaps
THE most personal item, and the biggest mystery for each person to
solve, of the whole deal! :)

Thru-thinker