[at-l] This weekends hiking

In a message dated 06/10/02 1:42:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> I have gotten some pretty strange looks while dayhiking with a much larger
> pack than 'necessary'.  "Why are you carrying your tarp if we aren't
> staying
> over night?!?  Why are you carrying that extra water?"  Whenever I think I
> should ditch some stuff, since "I'm only going a few miles and we aren't
> going to be out overnight anyway..." I review some old-dead-guy wisdom:

I'm with Shane on this one.  My day pack never contains my tent or hammock,
but it always contains my emergency bag, my first aid stuff, food and water.
If you prepare for the possibility that you will break something after you
are two miles (or even a mile) from the car and you can stay put for a while
if the need arises, the walk is much more enjoyable, IMHO.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---