[at-l] Re: Which footware to buy

Welcome to the open fire.

While some people find the support and extra feeling of protection of a full boot like the Vasque
Sundowner is necessary I personally don't. Footwear is perhaps the most individualistic gear choice
out there (backpacks are almost as bad). While I have a failry normal feet s far as arches go I do
tend to twist my ankles alot. You would think I would therefore love Sundowners. I used to wear them
all the time. But, I came to realize that a lower lighter weight shoe with good heel support and
tough tug sole was good enough.  Lately that has meant my shoe of choice is the Lowa Tempest (or are
they Renegade I can never remember).

I am not a fan of trail runners like the popular New Balance 804. I have a pair and they are fine on
easy terrain trails but for me they don't work well on more rugged trails and terrain that the AT
often provides.  However, they may be the shoe I take on an upcoming trip to Zion National Park and
Paria Canyon since the footing will be easy and the 804s will dry quickly (I might buy something
completley new too).

With lighter shoes, especially trail runner type shoes like the 804, you will have to expect them to
wear out. My 804s inside fabric is ruined though the outsides of the shoe and sole are still
adequate. My Soloman Raid Winds (prior to the Lowa) wore out quicker than I would have liked but
that is the way it sometimes goes with a lighter shoe. The Lowas are holding up quite well and
easily have several hundred miles in them still. My point is you will have to replace your shoes
during a thru-hike. The lighter shoes have the advantage of easier break-in.

I'm not sure I'd ever wear sandals on the AT. I stubb my feet on stuff and brush against stuff too
much. The bit of extra protection from a shoe is still worth it too me. However, to be fair I have
not given sandals a real fair shot on anything other than desert trails. Maybe someday I will.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **