[OT] Antarctic Ice Bergs was Re: [at-l] Re: Maine landprices

At 09:13 PM 6/9/2002 -0400, Bryan Kramer wrote:

>Here is a cite for you:

Sigh.  This could go on all day.  We've drifted a bit from the AT,
have we not?  I'm just an engineer, personally, not a climate
scientist.  I'll be the first to admit that errors are made, often,
in the practice of science.  I make a few every day.

Perhaps we could try another tack.  That warming is occurring
is not really in dispute.  The dispute seems to revolve around
whether we (humans) are responsible, in whole or in part.  And
of course it revolves around the magnitude of the warming, and
the potential consequences -- and whether action should be
taken, now or some time soon, to ensure that we (humankind)
aren't making the problem worse.

Those arguing on Bryan's side (it seems to me) are mostly
concerned that action to limit greenhouse emissions will
affect profits, or cost jobs  I find that attitude a bit narrow,
myself, and the "jobs" argument a complete red herring.

Given that there is so much at stake here, would it not be
prudent to begin addressing the known sources of the problem,
rather than crafting excuses for continuing inaction?

Progeny-wise, I don't have much at stake here.  Global
warming, even if it is real, isn't likely to affect my life in a
big way.  But some of the rest of you may want to think
about the world you're leaving for your children their
children.

rafe b.
aka terrapin