[at-l] Maine Wind Trubines

Note:  the  following  is  an editorial I wrote that appeared in the most recent
Mainetainer,  the  journal  of  the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. I post it here
because  it  most succinctly reflects my views about an issue that has aroused a
bit of debate.

"The  likely  impacts  from  this  nation's failure to require adequate emission
controls on power plants, and to take meaningful steps to control global warming
are serious.

"However,  damaging the viewshed along 25 miles of the Appalachian Trail will do
nothing  to  alleviate these impacts. Rather, the proposed 40 story high towers,
topped  with  lighted blades, will simply add another destructive element to the
failure of this country to develop rational energy policies.

 "We  could build towers on every peak with windpower potential along the entire
Appalachian  Trail  and  still  not have a significant impact on these important
issues.  Rather  than  feel  good, piece meal solutions, we need a comprehensive
policy  that  recognizes  the real dangers, and works to alleviate these dangers
without destroying the rare bits of wildness that still remain.

"Ignoring  the  Maine law that requires development on our high mountains to fit
"harmoniously  with  existing uses" when a world famous National Scenic Trail is
located  a  few  hundred yards away is precisely the wrong way to achieve such a
policy.

 "Approval  of this project would establish a terrible precedent. Approval would
simply  make  it  easier  to  compound  the  destruction  that stems from global
warming. Approval simply adds destruction of our mountain vistas and the last of
our wild rivers to all the other impacts of air pollution and global warming."

Weary