[at-l] group hiking

At 09:41 AM 6/9/2002 -0400, "hiker117@webtv.net" wrote:

>hi everyone. I hope your journey is going well. The reason i write is to
>let ya guys know that i plan to hike the A.T in late feruary of this
>comming yr and would like to possibly find a group to hike with. Please
>let me know something as I prepare for this awesome journey from georgia
>to maine.

You'll find your group soon enough when you start your hike,
though the trail should be relatively un-crowded in late February.

Fear not, you'll find all the company you seek at the shelters.

I'm skeptical that such groups, formed before a thru hike, have
much chance of surviving past the first couple hundred miles.
But maybe that's enough?  By then you'll have learned the ropes,
found your pace, and be ready to move on your own, or find
another group or partner.

Anyone here have firsthand experience to the contrary?

My experience was that these groups and partnerships were fairly
short-lived, breaking up and re-forming again and again.

rafe b.
aka terrapin