Re[4]: [at-l] Re: ALDHA AND AHS AND EARLS HIKE

Of  course  you  did (address the percentage of thru hikers who join maintaining
clubs and work on the trail) you said:

>One way to raise money is to cater to "2,000 milers" in hopes of
>encouraging them to join, donate and work.

claims the argumentative soft walker.

***  All I know about the subject is that some thru hikers donate work and money
to the trail and some don't. I don't have the vaguest idea about the percentages
in  each group. I still think a wise ATC and wise maintaining clubs will quickly
contact thru hikers after they return to take advantage of their interest in the
trail.

I doubt if anyone has real knowledge of the percentages involved. As overseer of
60  miles  of the AT I have to report each year on the total hours donated by my
23  maintainers  and  the  several  scores  of  family and friends who help them
maintain  the trail. No one has ever asked for a breakout of past thru hikers. I
know one or two are thru hikers or almost thru hikers. Many are not even serious
weekend hikers.

The  latter  find the sense of accomplishment that comes from working to improve
the  trail is hobby enough. I once asked the guy who designed and supervised the
construction  of  most  of  the  shelters  in  Maine if he'd "had any good hikes
lately?"

His reply: "I don't hike," Bob. "I just build shelters."

Weary