Re[2]: [at-l] Re: ALDHA AND AHS AND EARLS HIKE

>However -- after our last thruhike, we, as a couple, has a net worth that
>was somewhat less than $20,000.  That included 2 trucks, some books and
>tools, a couple pieces of furniture, our packs and about $1200 cash.  No
>job, no income, no place to live ---- not too much different from the
>financial situation of the average thruhiker at the end of the trail.  So
>sending the donation letter with the patch is pretty much useless and a
>waste of time, energy and trees.  A year later - maybe, but with the patch?
>  I don't thnk so.

A couple years ago the ATC published a summary of survey results in the ATN
done of hikers along the Trail.  You might be surprised to know that 10% of
the thru-hikers surveyed on the Trail indicated an annual income of over
$100,000.  They didn't mention net worth.

I can not vouch for the scientific assuracy of that survey, have not seen
the raw data or questions, and will accept the fact that some might reject
it as voodoo science.  I believe it was conducted by an academic type on a
population of 2000.  Still, as the article pointed out, appearances can be
decieving.  One of the great things about the hiking community is that young
and old and people of all educational and income backgrounds can mix in ways
that would happen few other places.  You think of people being more like you
than not, and thats a good thing.

I think the ATC does a pretty good job with its letters, BTW.  Whether it is
a personal note thanking one for a relatively small donation, or appeals
like the latest one focused on the specifics costs of protecting the Trail
against ATV's, the Conference does have more creativity in thier fund
raising than many other organizatios.  I bet they might be inclined to take
Weary's approach someday.

I don't think that it is either realistic or advisable to suggest a retiree
should even consider getting a reverse mortgage to fund contributions to the
ATC or any other organization.  Thats not a solution.  I do think appeals
that thier membership consider thier organization in estate planning are
entirely appropriate however.  Our local land trust (Sudbury Valley
Trustees) has protected some very important land this way. I also think its
entirely appropriate for non-profits to be promoting other kinds of programs
like charitilbe gift annuities to thier membership.  Different people
contribute in different ways.  What amazes me about some of the stories
regarding the land trust around here is that often times its the rather
ordinary (financially speaking)people who end up making incredibly valuble
donations of land.  Like with thru hikers, appearances can sometimes be
decieving.

Rick B