[at-l] Maine land prices

At 01:52 PM 6/8/02 -0400, Raphael Bustin wrote:
>At 01:11 PM 6/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>[RocksNRoots:]
>
>>>     ***   This is fantasyland voodoo politics. What Texas won't explain
>>> after
>>>his reckless attempt is exactly how and where these funds will come from?
>
>[kahley:]
>
>>You are making his case.  The funds are hard to come by because the
>>majority of the people are not enthused about tax dollars going to protect
>>the wild.  If a goal is not held by the majority, it is up to the minority to
>>whom the goal is important to secure the funds...like Bob is doing.
>>In my eyes, this is a more moral manner of doing things than to legislate
>>the land away via the courts.
>

>I'm not sure that your conclusion is valid.  My impression is
>that, on the whole, the American public will at least give lip
>service and moderate amounts of cash to the notion of conservation.

Lip service don't cut it. <sigh> My point referred to taxdollars....in
significant
amounts allocated by politicians who are under sufficient pressure to fear
for their jobs  based on the amount of support they give to our issues
rather than medicaremedicaidsocialsecuritynationalsecurityroadsbridges
and subsidies for sheep farmers.
If I'm wrong, then explain the chronic under funding of State and National
Parks.
The majority gets what the majority wants.