[at-l] Re: Maine land prices

At 01:42 PM 6/8/02 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/8/2002 1:07:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>kahley@ptd.net writes:
>

>>You are making his case.  The funds are hard to come by because the
>>majority of the people are not enthused about tax dollars going to protect
>>the wild.
>

>     *** And the Antarctic ice cap is making mine. Funny how people will
> argue toothpicks while the water rises.

For each "expert" who says the ice cap is melting, there is
another who says "yes...in some places while other glaciers
are growing...meaning the ice cap may be changing but not
melting as some believe.
I don't pretend to know the answer, but I do have problems
with the idea that we can stop planetary change by any action
that the majority is willing to take.

>     I'm not sure exactly what the majority thinks?

The majority doesn't care, at least not enough to suffer
to stop it.  I don't want to sound holier than thou, but
people, in general, think I'm nutz because I put so much
effort into living minimally.  We squeeze a living
room, bedroom kitchen bath and studio into about 800 square feet.
That allows us to stay "comfortable" using less than 150 gals
of fuel per winter.  Tell people they should do likewise,
in order to prevent planetary changes and see how far you
get. They want "something" done, as long as it doesn't
impact their lifestyle.  Gotta have those nifty patio heaters
so you can "get outside" even if it's chilly, doncha know.

BTW...I remain unconvinced that even the eradication of
the human species from the face of the earth would stop
global warming if it is time for the globe to warm.