Re[2]: [at-l] Re: ALDHA AND AHS AND EARLS HIKE

>As for encouraging thruhikers to join and work, I've found that a higher
>percentage of thruhikers "join and work" than you seem to believe.  Of the
>people who show up for the trail crews that we work with, at least 30% are
>2000 milers.  That's a pretty high percentage considering the number of
>2000 milers vs the general hiking population.

Somehow I'm not surprised at all by that statistic.

While I didn't finish the trail on own my attempted thru-hike,
the experience was such that my debt to the AT, and to
the ATC, is huge.  For now they'll have to make do with
my cold, hard cash.  Some day I may have the time and
wherewithal to volunteer my labor as well.

rafe b.