[at-l] Re: Maine land prices

Texas Twelve-Step wrote:

> This is precisely the reason to oppose the Endangered
> Species Act. Its very design promotes this sort of
> misuse.

	This wasn't a case of misuse; it was serendipity for those didn't want
the dam (though not so fortunate for those who wanted the development).
The Endangered Species Act does not discriminate; it comes into play
regardless of the current or proposed land use.

Dig:

> If you want more of something, you subsidize it (reward).
> If you want less of something, you tax it (penalize).
>
> Which of the above happens to landowners on whose property
> endangered species are found? Why do you think that is?

	And your suggestion? Shall the government buy any lands and/or other
resources necessary for the protection of endangered plants and animals?
That certainly wouldn't sit well in certain circles either.

> Free clue from Rafe:
>
> "The endangered species act is used because it is one
> of the few sticks available to halt development and
> unfettered harvesting of resources."
>
> Sticks are very popular in some circles.
>
> -TXIIS...Good-day!

	Unfortunately so is unfettered harvesting of resources. If the
development types were more often willing to manage resources for
long-term use, the environmental types would be often willing to
compromise. But too often it is set up as one extreme or the other; no
middle ground.

	Ron
--

must preside at our assemblies.