[at-l] Re: Maine land prices

Weary wrote:

> For those opposed to the endangered species act. It was
> the discovery of a flower that many had thought extinct
> on the banks of the river that probably did the most to
> keep the 60 miles of heavy rapids from being flooded out.

> I remember hearing Conservative Commentator Paul Harvey
> announce the morning after I broke the story of the flower
> discovery, "Can you believe it folks?" Paul asked. "In
> Maine they want to stop a dam to save a flower."

> Paul had it wrong. We desperately searched for a flower
> to save an incredibly important wild river.

This is precisely the reason to oppose the Endangered
Species Act. Its very design promotes this sort of
misuse. Dig:

If you want more of something, you subsidize it (reward).
If you want less of something, you tax it (penalize).

Which of the above happens to landowners on whose property
endangered species are found? Why do you think that is?

Free clue from Rafe:

"The endangered species act is used because it is one
of the few sticks available to halt development and
unfettered harvesting of resources."

Sticks are very popular in some circles.

-TXIIS...Good-day!